Building a Hydraulic System!
Your challenge will be to build a system that will lift a 3 kg load at least 10 cm in the air with control.
- Your project/system must be an original design. You can use any materials as long as they are approved by Mr. Hambly in your design.
- Your system can pull or push the load to achieve it's goal.
- Your project/system will need to be accompanied by a write up explaining each component of the system. The following questions must be covered in your write-up in addition to the following:
- How and why our hydraulic system will work
- After you have tried your hydraulic system, what are some improvements that you would make? Explain how they would improve your hydraulic systems performance!
2. Why is oil insoluble in water? Explain using the particle model of matter.
3. Provide three reasons why Oil would be found in hydraulic systems today over ?water. Be sure to provide a detailed answer!
4.What pure substances and or mixtures are being used in your hydraulic system as ?materials. Explain how each is a pure substance or a mixture, or what types of each!
5. What is the viscosity of the fluid or gas that you are using in your hydraulic ?system Explain using the particle model of matter.
6. How would different environmental condition affect your Hydraulic system? ?(temperature, atmospheric pressure, etc.)
7. What is the density of the fluid or gas used in your hydraulic system? Be sure to calculate this using the proper formula for full marks.
8. Using the correct formula calculate the pressure that is being applied in your hydraulic system.
9. In what direction does a fluid or a gas exert pressure when in a contained space? ?Explain using the particle model of matter!